Partners across Frimley Health and Care are today (1 December 2021) launching a festive advent calendar campaign aimed at highlighting ways people can stay safe and well in the lead up to Christmas.
Each day we will share a new advice, tip or message. This includes:
- Being prepared: knowing the opening times of health and care services over the bank holidays, ordering your regular prescriptions in advance and stocking up on remedies to treat common ailments
- Checking in on others: the cold weather can stop some people from getting out and about. Check in with others to see if they need a helping hand
- Winter vaccinations: take up your covid-19 and flu vaccinations if you are eligible
- Managing your mental health: for many people this Christmas, the festive season is a difficult time. You’re not alone and there is support to help you cope. We will share details of support services.
- Keeping active: Regular exercise can help improve your mental health and wellbeing.
- Staying warm: It’s important to keep warm in winter – both inside and outdoors. Keeping warm over the winter months can help to prevent colds, flu and more serious health problems such as heart attacks, strokes, pneumonia and depression.
- Green Christmas: as homes overflow with wrapping paper, cardboard boxes and empty bottles, let’s all play our part and help reduce waste.
The campaign is also designed to help people access the right service for their needs and ease pressure on the local health and care services during this busy time of the year.
Dr Huw Thomas, Clinical Chair for NHS Frimley Clinical Commissioning Group, said: “As we head into the festive season and the weather is turning colder, it is vital that we take steps to look after our physical and emotional wellbeing.
“We want everyone to enjoy their holiday and to spend as little time as possible in a healthcare setting if they do experience illness and need professional support.
“The campaign is aimed at helping everyone to access the right service for their needs. We also need local people to help us ease the pressure and to really think first about what care they need or if they can manage their symptoms themselves with support from their pharmacist.”
As well as appearing on the Frimley Health and Care website, the 24 Days of Christmas campaign will feature on our Facebook and Twitter channels. You can follow the campaign on Facebook @FrimleyHealthandCare and on Twitter @FrimleyHC.
Notes for editors
Frimley Health and Care Integrated Care System (ICS) is a formal partnership of health and social care organisations working together to improve services for the 800,000 people across East Berkshire, North East Hampshire and Farnham and Surrey Heath.